Peter DeSimone Student Scholarship
Peter DeSimone Student Scholarship
I've been able to gain a better understanding of sustainable investing while also being able to meet the leaders in this space who are shaping careers." -David Chan, 2017 Scholarship Recipient
The Peter DeSimone Student Scholarship Program provides support for fifteen undergraduate or graduate students to attend the US SIF Annual Conference. Scholars attend the entire conference, including Member Day and our course on the Fundamentals of Sustainable and Impact Investment.
The Scholarship is intended to both introduce students to this field and to enhance the diversity of the field - it grew out of a US SIF initiative on diversity and inclusion. We particularly welcome applications from women and members of the Black and Indigenous communities and people of color to apply.
The main objectives of the scholarship program are to:
• Identify and encourage students from communities under-represented in the sustainable investment field to explore careers in sustainable investment;
• Enhance students' knowledge of sustainable and impact investment; and
• Provide an opportunity for students to learn directly from leaders and experts in the field of sustainable investment through participating in the US SIF conference and being introduced to experts in the field.
Scholars are expected to attend the entire conference, including the Fundamentals of Sustainable and Impact Investment course and Member Day activities. We also ask Scholars to post on social media including twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram and write a blog post for the US SIF website or other approved platform.
Scholarship recipients receive:
• Registration for our course on the Fundamentals of Sustainable and Impact Investment, to be held on Monday afternoon, June 14;
• One ticket to attend FORUM 2022, US SIF's in-person conference
The Scholarship is for students who are:
• Enrolled in an accredited, degree-granting undergraduate or graduate program (in any field) at the time of application;
• In good academic standing; and
• Committed to or deeply interested in a career in sustainable and impact investment as demonstrated through their work/internships to date and through focus on this area in their academic studies or extra-curricular activities.
How to Apply:
Complete the online application, which includes a personal statement, resume and current transcript. All applications must be submitted online and all components must be received by midnight EST on Friday, April 16, 2021.
Applications will be evaluated based upon a number of factors, including, but not limited to, the strength of the personal statement and demonstrated activities or actions related to the pursuit of a career in sustainable investment. Candidates may also be interviewed by US SIF Foundation staff.
All candidates will be informed of their status no later than Friday, May 14, 2021. For questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Peter DeSimone
The scholarship is named for Peter DeSimone, who had a 20-year career in sustainable investment. Peter was a US SIF staff member for several years, inaugurating the position of Policy Director and helping launch our first conference.
He also worked at the Investor Responsibility Research Center (IRRC) in the mid-1990s, initially focusing on South Africa's post-apartheid transition, and helped found the Sustainable Investments Institute (SI2), which provides impartial research to institutional investors.
Peter passed away in 2014 at the age of 43.