Sustainable Investing Analyst
Every firm has a culture – the values, beliefs, methodology, attitudes and standards that reflect an organization’s DNA. But the truly inspiring firms – the game-changers, the industry leaders and the disruptors – have cultures that propel them to innovate and stand out. At Brown Advisory, we aim to be one of those inspired firms. Over the years, we have purposefully built and nurtured our client-first culture.
Brown Advisory is an independent investment management firm that is obsessed with putting clients first – not because it’s good for business – but because we find, and hire, people that truly care about each and every client. We feel privileged to work with such a special group of clients, and find a great deal of satisfaction in not only providing them with the highest level of service, but also first-class performance and strategic advice. Our firm was founded in 1993 as an affiliate of Alex. Brown & Sons, a leading U.S. investment bank, and became independent in 1998. Today, we serve institutional and private clients in 50 states and more than 34 countries and territories from our 8 offices in Austin, Baltimore, Boston, Carolinas, Delaware, London, New York, and Washington, D.C. While every investment firm tries to attract the most qualified professionals, we place a premium on only selecting those individuals who fit our culture and bring sought-after skills to our team. In fact, each of Brown Advisory’s 500+ colleagues own equity in the firm. Our ownership structure, collaborative investment process and client-first culture aligns our interests with our clients and results, which also reduces colleague turnover.
Brown Advisory is currently seeking a professional, energetic and self-motivated Sustainable Investing analyst in our Boston, MA office. This individual will be dedicated within a dynamic, growing business and team to support both the research and business needs of Brown Advisory’s sustainable investing business.
The primary duties of the position are to provide analysis support to our equity research teams on environmental, social, and governance (ESG) risks and opportunities for securities under consideration. In addition, the position provides support to the broader business by conducting sustainable investing-related research, preparing reports, handling information requests from either colleagues or clients, and serving as a pro-active problem-solver for the Head of Sustainable Investing.
This will be a challenging and dynamic role that supports growth in all aspects of our business. As such, responsibilities will range from supporting our research teams, to supporting our sales and client service teams. These responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
The primary duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Research Support
- Create and maintain ESG research reports to our and our clients’ quality standards
- Coordinate, prepare for, and document research meetings in service of our sustainability due diligence
- Keep abreast of outside service and technology providers that may be of value for our evolving ESG activities
- Conduct thematic research as-needed to improve upon our research process and/or our ability to communicate with clients
- Generate portfolio reports as requested using databases provided
- Keep abreast of portfolio company filings and industry-related news flow
- Sales, Client Service, and Business Support
- Become an explicit point of contact for many of the firm’s sustainable investing capabilities across our Institutional, Endowment & Foundation, Family, and Individual investment and advisory teams
- Assist with thought leadership marketing collateral development
- Collect information and write periodic sustainable investing newsletter updates for both internal and external communications
- Attend industry events as needed to represent Brown Advisory and to gain market information
- Ad-hoc projects for members of the research, marketing and sales teams
- Conduct research on potential prospects and generate leads to be shared with the business development teams
- Administrative support to the Head of Sustainable investing and team, including organizing meetings from start to finish, writing and editing, ensuring smooth team communications, and pro-actively supporting the sustainable investing team’s productivity
- Work closely with our Head of Sustainable Investing on strategic sustainable investing efforts across the firm