US SIF encourages workforce diversity within its member organizations and in the financial services industry as a whole. A diverse workforce that reflects an organization’s clients and community contributes a range of experiences that is essential to developing better ideas and building a dynamic corporate culture.
We recommend that investment firms and other businesses consider diversity and inclusion not only when making hiring and promotion decisions, but also when conducting business with others, such as lawyers, accountants, trading firms and vendors, as well as integrate this issue within their investment decision process.
TOOLS AND RESOURCES
The following resources provide guidelines and references on how to build a diverse workforce and corporate culture. We have listed a number of resources to get you started. Please contact Alya Kayal for any suggestions.
Taking Steps to Advance Diversity & Inclusion in the Sustainable and Responsible Investment Industry
- Most Effective Teams: Integrating Diverse Perspectives and Engaging Everyone (USSIF)
- Impact and Influence: Changing the world's conversation (The Op-Ed Project)
- Framed by Gender: Cecilia Ridgeway, Stanford Professor (Clayman Institute)
- Women and Investing: Fatima Iqbal, CFP
PUBLICATIONS & ARTICLES
- How to identify hidden biases (CareerCast Diversity & Bilingual Network)
- Unconscious bias theory in employment discrimination litigation (Harvard Law)
- Intercultural Development Theory
- Where are the women in global leadership? 7 charts (World Economic Forum)
Though US SIF Jobs Board is available, the sites listed below can extend the reach of job seekers and recruiters:
- Greater Diversity
- Urban Financial Services Coalition
- Coalition for Housing and Nonprofit Economic Development
The Member Center Depot has a more robust list of job boards accessible to US SIF members.
- DIVERSE GREEN
- Clayman Institute for Gender Research
- Intercultural Development Inventory
- Thirty Percent Coalition