Online Course & Live Training
Fundamentals of Sustainable and Impact Investment
The US SIF Foundation's Center for Sustainable Investment Education offers Fundamentals of Sustainable and Impact Investment as an introductory resource for investment advisors, financial planners and other financial professionals who want to learn the basics of sustainable, responsible, and impact investment. It offers a unique blend of instruction and scenario learning that will enhance your ability to incorporate SRI into investment portfolios and client conversations. The course covers the implementation of Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) data into security analysis, discusses the latest trends and research, and explains how to communicate your expertise in sustainable and impact investment. The course can be taken online and/or in a live training format.
Completion of the course results in a certificate, 3 CFP® Board, CFA Institute, CIMA®, CIMC® and CPWA® continuing education credits and a better understanding of this rapidly growing industry.
Module I: An Overview of Sustainable, Responsible, and Impact Investing
- Introduction and Brief History of SRI
- Strategies for application of SRI
- Growth Trends in SRI
Module II: Approaches to ESG, SRI Portfolio Construction Considerations and Shareowner Advocacy
- Asset class mix and weighting, ESG analysis
- Selecting public equity, fixed income, cash, alternative investments and community investments for an SRI portfolio
- Active shareowner strategies
Module III: Performance Studies, Fiduciary Standards, and Global Trends
- Financial performance studies and meta-studies
- ERISA and Fiduciary Duty
Module IV: Communicating your SRI Expertise with Clients
- The value of adding SRI to your practice
- Addressing perceptions of SRI
- Working with clients and building a client base
The online course is currently unavailable as it is being updated to incorporate new information. The updated course will become available again in mid-summer of 2017. Thank you for your interest, and please let us know if you would like an update on course availability.
Cost for online course
US SIF Member: $200
Group rates for 100 or more are available. Contact Michael Young (202-872-5304) for more information.
Live Training on the Fundamentals of Sustainable and Impact Investment:
The live training version of the course is led by expert sustainable investment practitioners and the US SIF team.
Upcoming live training dates:
- The SRI Conference at the Hotel del Coronado in San Diego, CA (November 1, 2017)
Past live training dates:
- The 2017 US SIF Conference: A New Climate for Investing in Impact at Morningstar in Chicago, IL (May 10, 2017)
- Southern California Training at the Dimensional Fund Advisors building in Santa Monica, CA (February 8, 2017)
- The SRI Conference at the Hyatt Regency Downtown Denver in Denver, CO (November 9, 2016)
- The 2016 US SIF Conference: Investing for the Next Generation at the Renaissance Downtown Hotel in Washington, DC (May 23, 2016)
- The SRI Conference at the Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs, CO (November 3, 2015)
- The 2015 US SIF Conference: Risk, Value, Impact at the Westin Michigan Avenue in Chicago, IL (May 4, 2015)
- The SRI Conference at the Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs, CO (November 9, 2014)
- The 2014 US SIF Conference: Markets, Mission and Materiality at the Capital Hilton in Washington, DC (May 19, 2014)
- The SRI Conference at the Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs, CO (October 28, 2013)
- The 2013 US SIF Conference: Finance for a Sustainable Future at the Westin River North in Chicago, IL (May 20, 2013)
Contact Michael Young (202-872-5304) for more information.